Skip to content

What kind of permits does a manufacturer need to make chutneys and pickles, etc?

Food manufacturers in Missouri are not issued permits or licenses. If the person is making a product for retail sales (direct to the consumer only) there may be local permitting requirements. Be aware that producing an acidified or low-acid shelf stable product in a retail establishment would be considered a special process that would require a HACCP plan and a special process review. Check with your LPHA to determine these requirements. For sales to other food operations the operator needs to be in compliance with the manufactured food requirements. Compliance may require becoming a scheduled processor with the FDA. Check the manufactured food web page for information on compliance.

Feedback and Knowledge Base