Skip to content

Do I need a food permit from the state for my restaurant?

No, the Department of Health and Senior Services does not issue permits. The Missouri Food Code does require an application and preopening inspection process be completed by new food establishments. This process is completed by the Local Public Health Agency in the area of the restaurant. Some local jurisdictions have their own food ordinances and the authority to adopt stricter regulations that may require operational permits. Contact the Local Public Health Agency in your area for more information about both processes. A directory of Local Public Health Agencies can be found online at: LPHA.

Feedback and Knowledge Base